Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day!  This holiday is always a bit controversial to the world, but I thought I would share my (way too many chocolate covered expresso bean induced) thoughts with y'all.

As I mentioned last year, my family has always celebrated Valentines Day together. So, whether Katie and I were single or not, we still got excited about the day. Especially because of my Dad's annual ding dong ditch. Dad would always ring the doorbell, leave us a small present, and sneak back in the back door before we found it. For years we really thought we had a secret admirer and, even after we knew it was him, we loved every second of it. It always made the day a little extra special.

Since Katie and I are both away from home now, my family has found new ways of celebrating. This morning, after a not so great morning at work, I received a call from the receptionist saying she had something waiting for me. When I arrived I saw a bouquet of flowers from my little sister. So beautiful, and so perfectly timed.  My parents also sent up a little gift to us (which I am waiting to open this afternoon).

The flowers

You see, it doesn't all have to be about being single or taken. It also doesn't have to be the worlds largest annual stoplight party. Valentine or not, commercial holiday or not, it is nice to take the time to tell people you love them. Sure, maybe we don't need to have a day that forces us to do it. But isn't it nice to have a day in the middle of the week that is a little more special than normal?

You can celebrate with your friends, family, boyfriend/girlfriend, anyone. Celebrate with the people you like (or love) and enjoy it. Or, if you chose, celebrate the fact that you all mutual hate it. Just celebrate in general. And eat a few chocolates while you're at it. :)

So, happy valentines day everyone! Whether you love it or hate it, I hope you have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment