Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dining Out - Richmond

I don't know how or why this happened, but review and "top ___ list" websites/articles are my new best friends. Before I go anywhere, I like to know all of the best places, read if they live up to that hype, and then plan out which we might visit and which we wont. This goes for attractions, restaurants, hotels, anything.

Having lived in Richmond for over a year now, I have found some restaurants I absolutely LOVE and want to share with you! So any of you random list lovers like me, listen up! This might help you make your next Richmond food selection!

(I should note, I am not much of a chain restaurant person. At all. Unless it is Chipotle or Febru-any at Subway (does anyone else have that song stuck in their head?!), you will rarely find me there. With so many options in Richmond, why not try something more original. I am also not much of a dining out breakfast person, so unless it is brunch, you wont find that on here either.)

Lunch in Richmond:
  • To-Go Options
    • Cuisine A La Carte
      • Location:  5606 Patterson Ave (just past Willow Lawn)
      • Hours: Mon-Fri: 8AM-5PM, Saturday: 10AM-3PM
      • Opinion: This is one of the most unique tasting sandwich shops I have ever been to, and I absolutely love it!! My go to is the ABC Box lunch (Apple, Bacon and Cheese Sandwich with your choice of side and dessert), but the options are endless! Though the shop is small, this is certainly a sandwich lovers gem on Patterson Ave. (*They also have a few tables if you would like to eat there)
    • Street Deli
      • Location: 10th Street and Byrd (Downtown)
      • Hours: Monday - Friday, 11AM-2PM
      • Opinion: I, like many not born in a city, was a little put off by the idea of eating from a food cart. Until living here, all of my experiences with them have been at fairs and festivals, and no where near gourmet. However, Street Deli completely changed my opinion!! This cart has a wide array of sandwiches, salads and wraps, as well as a build your own option. It is my go to when trying to get a delicious, but quick,  lunch. I strongly suggest that all of you Downtown workers check it out.  
  • 30min-1 hour Sit Down Lunches
    •  Shockoe Expresso
      • Location: 104 Shockoe Slip
      • Hours: Please see website
      • Opinion: As an extension of Mill Mountain Coffee, you will think you have simply walked into an average coffee shop, but they offer great food options as well. It is an excellent choice if you are downtown and looking for a good, semi quick salad or sandwich.
    • Urban Farmhouse
      • Location: 1217 East Cary (Downtown/Shockoe Bottom)
      • Hours: Mon- Fri: 6:30Am - 8PM, Sat: 7:30AM - 9PM and Sun: 7:30AM- 8PM
      • Opinion: The Urban Farmhouse has fresh, seasonal and locally sourced ingredients according to their website, and simply delicious food according to me. I stumbled upon the Urban Farmhouse when I had left work to search for food in the cold,pouring rain (yes, this is Survivor). I finally reached the doors of this beautiful restaurant and took solice in their cozy ambiance. I was not expecting the food to be more than average, but man was I wrong. So very, very wrong. Since that day I have been back multiple times, including once with Jon for brunch. The Urban Farmhouse has quickly gone from a place off my radar screen, to one I insist people visit. Including you :) 
  • Longer Lunch
    • See Inexpensive/Moderate Dinner places
      • all offer delicious lunch menus
Dinner in Richmond
  • Fairly Inexpensive (*all of the following are also great options for a longer lunch)
    • Plaza Azteca
      • Location: 6623 West Broad Street or 12020 West Broad (two locations)
      • Hours: Please see website
      • Opinion: Ok, ok to be fair, this one can kind of be considered a chain. But it takes me back to my roots since it started in Hampton Roads and has followed me here to Richmond. Cheap, but good, mexican food. Fresh made guacamole at your table, quick service, and more. Not to mention, this was one of the only restaurants open during the the hurricane this year and I believe they fed half the city of Richmond, so they are dependable as well!
    • Joe's Inn 
      • Location: 205 N. Shields (Fan)
      • Hours: Mon-Thurs and Sun: 8AM - 12AM, Fri-Sat: 8AM-1AM 
      • Opinion: Joe's happens to be the first "real" Richmond restaurant I visited when I moved here.  Their menu is mostly Italian, but also features an all day breakfast, wide array of entrees, and many sandwiches.
  • Moderate (* all of the following are also great for a longer lunch)
    • Stellas
      • Location: 1012 Lafayette St. (Near 3900 block of Monument)
      • Hours: Please See Website.
      • Opinion: Stellas is a Richmond institution that recently reopened in a new location. Big portions, delicious food, great ambiance, what more could you want? How about affordable carafes of wine? They have those too! I have never had a dish here that I disliked, which is saying a lot from a picky eater like me. You almost always have to have a reservation to get into Stellas, but just head over to OpenTable and easily make one! You are missing out if you don't give this one a try.
    • The Hill Cafe:
      • Location: 2800 Broad Street (Church Hill)
      • Hours: Please See Website
      • Opinion: A great, quaint location in Church Hill with all of your dining favorites. There is a wide array of options for all types of eaters, from seafood lovers to vegetarians, and each meal seems to impress even the toughest critics. I have been here for both lunch and dinner and enjoyed it for both.
  • Nice Night Out
    • Pescados China Street
      • Location: 626 China Street (Oregon Hill)
      • Hours: Dinner: Mon-Sat 5PM-10PM (also serve lunch, please see website for times)
      • Opinion: The location of Pescados is very unassuming. In fact, when I first arrived, I was sure I had gone to the wrong place. But the delicious array of seafood options certainly speak for themselves.  My favorite is the scallop dish, but I have heard nothing but good things about the rest of the menu. They offer cheap date night on Tuesday and half price wine on Wednesdays. They do not currently take reservations.
    • Ironfish by Pescados:
      • Location: 3061 Lauderdale Drive (Henrico)
      • Hours: Tues-Sat 5PM-close (closed Sunday and Monday)
      • Opinion: Ironfish's menu is very similar to Pescados, with small variations. The interior of this location is beautiful and open, and perfect for those looking for new options in the West End. Again, the scallops here are delicious, as are their fried oyster app! Ironfish does not currently take reservation.
    • The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing
      • Location:4708 East Old Main St (Rocketts Landing)
      • Hours: Opens at 5PM for dinner
      • Opinion: Location, location, location! Who doesn't like dining with a view? Especially when that food is on par with the beautiful location. If you want to take out of town guest somewhere, you can have a view of the city, the James, and a great meal all at once! You must try the fried oysters here, they were some of the best I've ever had. Reservations may be made on OpenTable.

      • Amuse at the VMFA (Only open Thursdays and Fridays for Dinner)
        • Location: 200 N. Boulevard (Museum District)
        • Hours: Thurs/Fri: 5PM- 8PM (Open for lunch daily)
        • Opinion: Amuse is located inside the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, and overlooks their sculpture garden. Since they are only open two nights a week for dinner, it is sometimes difficult to get a reservation. However, the food is certainly worth the wait. If you are unable to get a reservation, you should at least stop by for a drink at their (semi-small) bar. Reservations can be made on OpenTable.
    Weekend Brunch:
    • Saturday and Sunday
      • The Water Grill
        • Location: 3411 West Cary St. (Carytown)
        • Brunch Hours: 10:30AM-3PM
        • Opinion: I love this place for brunch. Seriously, I have been here at least 20 times. I love having the option of choosing between breakfast and lunch, especially at a place with so many types of options. Pancakes, eggs, salads, sandwiches, seafood, etc...they have it all. And they are all good enough to keep you coming back time and time again. Looking for something unique? Try the Fried Green Tomato BLT. Reservations can be made on OpenTable.
    • Sunday Only
      • Conch Republic
        • Location: 11 Orleans St. (Rocketts Landing)
        • Brunch Hours: 10:30 AM-2PM
        • Opinion: At Conch Republic you not only get multiple breakfast and lunch options, but you get the view as well. This restaurant is located right next to the Boathouse and, though it is not as high up, the views of the city are still impressive.  In addition, each brunch is a "Jazz Brunch", complete with a live Jazz Band. Great food, incredible views, and live music...its the perfect brunch trifecta. Looking for a lighter option? Try "The Hippie"!
    Looking to stay in??  You must stop by the Carytown Kroger and pick up some sushi! I think it rivals most of the sushi restaurants here in Richmond

    Do y'all have any dining suggestions here in Richmond? If so, leave a comment! I am always looking for new places to try!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment