Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

As I previously mentioned, last weekend was a whirlwind.

When I arrived in Fairfax I was greeted by my long lost little sister (from DG), Marie. Since Jon was at work, she decided to take on the daunting task of entertaining me until he got home...and man was she good at it! :) As we talked about everything under the sun, I simultaneously used her as my personal stylist to help determine my look for dinner that night.

A couple miles (and over an hour) later, Jon walked through the door. I finished curling my hair as we debated which part of Northern Virginia we would venture to for dinner. I love Old Town Alexandria, LOVE it, and he knew that...so off we went! To me Old Town is the perfect example of an extremely classy city which somehow appeals to both old and younger generations of people. Sure, you may not find the hippest bar nestled on the corner of King Street, but there is hardly a more beautiful place to escape the hustle and bustle of DC. And of course: what could make me happier than year round Christmas lights??

King Street in Old Town
The only requirement we had for dinner was a seafood restaurant, so we headed to The Warehouse Bar and Grill. The food was absolutely delicious, wine was outstanding, and I guess the company was pretty good as well. When we finished our meal we walked down to the waterfront to take in the beautiful views and chilly wind gusts, as I worked on convincing Jon to make the drive to Georgetown for a few drinks at my favorite bar in DC:  Mr. Smiths

Shelby and I stumbled upon Mr. Smiths almost a year ago, when I was interviewing for my job, and instantly fell in love with it. When you first walk in the bar seems like nothing out of the ordinary - until you hear the music - not only is it a piano bar, but it is the best piano bar I have ever been to. So again off he and I went to sing the night away. Perfect night in my mind. 

(**To be fair, we did go watch the Caps game Saturday morning to make up for the Jessica-centric Friday night (although, I will admit there was a little, ok a lot, of hesitation on my part.))

Saturday afternoon I headed back down to Hampton for Christie's birthday. At dinner Mom, Dad and Christie became fascinated by what Cetta and I had planned for this upcoming weekend. We are going to Duck, NC with Jon and Will,  and are obviously going to spend the whole weekend impressing them with our incredible gaming skills. What better way to do this than with our own game of Minute to Win It? 

A few glasses of wine later, we finally convinced our Moms to play a couple trial rounds with us.  Concetta and I headed to Food Lion to get all the essentials: tissue boxes, ping pong balls, duck tape, straws, M&Ms, water bottles, and (of course) more wine. We had narrowed our practice round to four games: Junk in the Trunk, Elephant Walk, Hanky Panky, and our own version of an M&M game.

Since I am the epitome of a coordinated, graceful individual you can imagine how me and my knock-knees looked playing some of these games. Black Swan, here I come. We couldn't have possibly chosen four better ways to look extremely attractive.

I do not think I have laughed harder than I did that night, I mean can you picture your mom doing the Elephant Walk? Hilarious. (Check back for pictures later.)

I can't wait to see how the real competition goes this weekend: brace yourself Concetta, I've been practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment