Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dad, Pescados, and Heaven...Oh My!

Today is my Dad's birthday, I know what you are all thinking...and you're right...I did call the NFL commissioner and arrange for the Super Bowl to be played today just for my football loving dad! How great, right?

Dad is the epitome of a wonderful father...he writes us poems or makes us card on our birthdays, loves Christmas as much as I do, and (like my mom) has been a a great source for my sister and I to look up to both in our personal and professional lives. Each of our parents has supported us in endeavor and I love them for it more and more every day.

So... Happy Birthday, Dad!!!! And happy football watching, world!! (you're welcome) :)




On another note, even though I am a terrible chef, I think am very good at discerning good restaurants from bad ones. I have a large disliking for most chain restaurants and believe I can tell a big difference in fresh food (probably because I eat so many SmartOnes).

One of the reasons I love Richmond is because of all of the hole in the wall, family-owned restaurants. Elyse and I frequent Joe's Inn for Greek Salads and splurge on the delicious meals at Accacia. I've been to Can-Can brunch on a lazy Sunday, and hit the most talked about spots with my roommate Julie. If I was not so picky I would consider become a food critic...

Anyways, on Thursday night Shelby was Downtown and we wanted to try something new. I had heard good things at work about Pescados, so I convinced her to go there. When we pulled up I was almost positive Shelby was going to make us turn around. The restaurant is off the beaten track, compared to other restaurants in the area, located between a number of houses and dark street lamps. Despite to the dark exterior, the interior is something straight from the Bahamas - very colorful and Rastafarian! Very unassuming in my mind. Once we sat down we ordered a glass of wine and took a look at the primarily seafood menu. We ended up having the BEST meal I have had in Richmond to date. Shel had Salmon with Spaghetti Squash while I chose Scallops with a pomegranate reduction....they were both de-licious! The restaurant seems to take normal ingredients and add a Caribbean twist of perfection! Obviously, I will be going back asap.

If that is not convincing enough, check out the menu their website: http://www.pescadoschinastreet.com/


And a final, more serious, topic:

I am not usually one to push/talk about/ focus on religion. I am a firm believer in people have very valid reasons for the way the feel, and whether or not their life involves some sort of religion is up to them.

With that said - I just finished reading a really incredible book. I honestly purchased it on my Nook because, in between browsing for Marie Claire and Water for Elephants, the title caught my eye. After reading the description, I figured it was worth $9 to feed my curiosity. I did not think that those $9 dollars would instead be spend for, an even more beneficial, piece of mind.

The book is called Heaven is for Real. It is a true story about a four year old boy who has a near-death experience and claims to have been to Heaven. I use the word "claims" because obviously there is no way to completely prove this, and I admit I was very skeptical. However, after reading the book I believe the proof is in the details. I highly recommend this to anyone who has any interest in the topic:


You can read an expert and more about it here: http://www.heavenisforreal.net/


Happy Birthday Dad and Super Bowl Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment