Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day

When we were younger my dad used to run up to our front door, place two boxes of chocolate on the porch, ring the doorbell, and enter the house again without us knowing. My sister and I would then sprint to the door, swing it open, pick up the gift, and run around the front yard frantically searching for our yearly secret admirers. Needless to say, we never felt a shortage of love on Valentines Day, or any other day for that matter.

Ever since the doorbell ringing, our family has somehow made Valentines Day a little more than the day your boyfriend feels obligated to buy you flowers or jewelry (even though that is always nice too!).

Since I knew Dad would not be able to ring Katie's dorm door bell and leave chocolates this year, I figured the least I could do was leave her a surprise in her mail box. (After all, I am a real person now!) After lots of searching I found the perfect gift...a set of hand decorated cookies. Sure they were simple but they would hopefully make her feel a special and loved, the same way those 5 dollar boxes of chocolate did when we were younger. Plus, who doesn't love a surprise??


Katie's Cookies!


Now, don't get me wrong, I think the whole romance aspect of Valentines Day is wonderful too. What other day are you going to convince your boyfriend (without any complaints) to turn off the sports game and put down a beer, in return for a fancy dinner and wine? Or have him magically turn into quite the romantic for 24 hours, without catching any grief from his friends?

So...To all my girlfriends: enjoy your romance filled (or anti-Valentine) Monday. To my family: I love you with all my heart. And to the guys: thanks for going along with it :)

Happy Valentines Day!!!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment