Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"A Stolen Life: A Memoir"

Before I share the rest of our exciting weekend with you (/as soon as I get the time to upload the pictures), I wanted to share a book I just read with y'all. Yes, another book! I finally found my extremely smart father's book loving genes somewhere inside of me!

Last night I bought "A Stolen Life: A Memoir", by Jaycee Dugard, on my Nook. I had not heard much about this book, aside from the early interviews I had seen of Jaycee, but it had received incredible reviews on the bookseller's charts. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the story, Jaycee was the eleven year old girl who was kidnapped on her way to school and found 18 years later. She had the courage to describe her time in captivity, her transition to the real world, and the childhood she had lost in this book. Her goal in writing this was to show people that they can survive the most difficult times and prevail.


Image via ABC News

The moment I began the first chapter I was captivated by this woman's tale of the horrific 18 years she faced. The survival skills she exhibited, courage she showed, and reflections she had on her actions were nothing short of incredible. Someone truly lived through this this horror and survived.

I expected to buy this book and slowly read it over the next week or so, but ended up starting and finishing it last night. It is not something for a light read, it is extremely detailed and hard to read at times, but it is an incredible story of perseverance and survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment