Thursday, August 11, 2011

In My Mind I've Gone to Carolina....

...well technically that is true, but there have also been a lot of places in between. I was trying to think of a good excuse for my extreme blog neglect but I don't really have one....other than that crazy thing called life.

I guess I should start a MONTH ago (I seriously cannot believe its been that long) with South Africa and Zambia. In short, I fell in love all over again with Africa. I absolutely feel drawn to that country, and (of course) enjoy all the crazy stories a trip like that can produce. BUT, having said that, Africa will need a few blog posts of its own, so unfortunately you will have to hold off. Good news is I promise it will be in the extremely near future.... I'm back on the wagon, as they say.


Cape Point, South Africa

As for the present, there is a very important thing happening in the 804.....

....Jon has finally moved to Richmond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not think all of the exclamation points in the world could really capture my excitement, but I figured a few extra couldn't hurt. :) As I told him, "I am so excited to be in a real relationship instead of just dating on the weekends!!!" Based on his expression I don't think it came out the way I meant it, but what else is new. After giving me a hard time for a good 5 minutes (i.e. Ohhhhh I see, so we haven't been in a "real" relationship the whole time, wish I'd known that before ---- *again, what else is new), he finally gave in to the fact that he knew what I meant and we haven't stopped celebrating since.

While I am clearly excited about this news, I was not so excited about the whole moving process. Just add mover, designer, and craftsman to my resume. After helping him carry 100 boxes, build a dresser (that I may have broken 2 times during the process) and headboard, and hang pictures in the new casa - I took a very long mental note of the importance of movers and pre made furniture.

Before the big move we spend one final night in DC, which also happened to be the first anniversary/month-iversary we had ever seen each other on (see what I mean about "real" relationship?!). Jon indulged me in every nerdy-touristy-guilty-pleasure I have ever had in DC by taking me to the American History Museum, Dinner in the City and Drinks/Desserts at the W. Jon had heard about P.O.V. at the W from one of his co-workers and decided it was a must-do for the occasion. Let me just say, I was completely blown away. We had a table directly in front of the Washington Monument and White House! It was one of the most beautiful settings you could imagine.


Us with the White House in the Background

Of course the nerdy tourist didn't stop there. I was determined to see the Lincoln Monument at night. One final "pleaseeeeeeee Jon" and a cab ride later we were standing in front of this:


Even more beautiful than I imagined
Again, incredible. We ended the night at the piano bar at Mr. Smiths, and I could not think of a better way to say goodbye to one of my favorite cities.

Now, finally - and most importantly, back to Carolina....

Last night I went to stay with Concetta for some much needed best friend/catch up time. But also to be with her on a day that means so much to all of us, what would have been Paul's 61st birthday. I think she summed it up the best in her blog here, but I think it is important to mention the day of a man who changed so many of our lives for the better. So even though it is now one day late, Happy Birthday Uncle Monster! <3

Playing Hair Salon when we were younger

Last year at Paul's 60th Birthday


No comments:

Post a Comment