Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"Walk With Firm Feet" (Africa, Part 2)

While in Cape Town I picked up a postcard with a Nelson Mandela quote that said, "In my lifetime I shall step out into the sunshine, walk with firm feet."

This postcard is now carefully hung in my cubicle, next to a picture of the South African sunset. I somehow always find myself looking at this orange and yellow slab of paper when I need a little inspiration. I have always been a quote loving girl, and that probably will not change anytime soon. As for this one, I love it because it can apply to each of us in some way, but it also brings me back to Africa.

The level of joy and happiness scattered throughout, even the most impoverished areas, that continent always seem to level me. They make me thankful for what I have, and inspire me to become the person I have always dreamed of being. Walking with firm feet toward a bright future.

With that said I will take you from South Africa, to the country of Zambia. Imagine going from New York city, to a small city in Wyoming all in one trip. The houses/huts were far more spread out, infrastructure was dwindling, but instead of cars crowding what would be roadways, you were met on dirt paths by all sorts of animals. For me, this was just another part of my traveling paradise, though I imagine not everyone feels the same way. I think it is easy for people to say "you couldn't pay me to go there", but it takes a little risk for a lot of reward when it comes to vacations like this.

In Zambia, our days where filled with game drives, canoeing, walking safaris and nights were centered around amazing dinners, friends and a night drive. We stayed at extraordinary places with unmatchable staff, said hello to the Zambian President mid-safari, and spent many days searching for these beautiful animals in the natural habitat.

Giraffes (my personal favorite)


On a morning ride, crossing the river

Jaguar

Canoeing (well, actually stopped because my guide got out to take a picture)

 Yes, we did have a run-in with an elephant and a hippo, but hey we all survived. Katie and I were even greeted by animals elephants in front of our tents many mornings, and hippos at night. I like to think they were standing guard, even though we weren't allowed to enter or exit when they were visiting.


Elephant that almost charged me

Though I love the big animals, I am not a fan of the less threatening but ever so sneaky little ones (frogs, geckos, bugs) so you can imagine how much Katie loved being my roommate. Especially when I was greeted by a gecko in the closet and I screamed loud enough you would have thought a baboon had jumped the shower with me.


Roomie/sister love <3

The two camps we stayed at in Zambia were Puku Ridge and Sausage Tree. They were both lovely, but I was completely in love with everything about Puku. The staff, the views, the optional outdoor shower, the animals!....amazing.

Puku Lobby/Dining Area (taken from their website because I forgot to take one)


Katie and my tent at Puku


Took this to show how close we were to the lions

Surprise happy hour, mid-safari, from the Puku Staff....amazing
Needless to say we did have a few interesting/ borderline scary moments, but all in all this trip made me fall even more in love with Africa...if that was even possible.


The end! (check out the baby elephant in the middle!)

No comments:

Post a Comment