Thursday, January 19, 2012

Making a Resolution

As much as I enjoy writing about my recent trips, mishaps adventures into the culinary world, and other random tibits of life, I do have to admit that there are plenty of days were being a twenty three year old is a lot harder than my 16 year old, "can't wait to get out of high school", self would have thought. So many life decisions, lots of focus on finances, and an immense amount of pressure to be "that person" everyone sees you becoming both personally and professionally.

The thing about being in your twenties is that you seem to be frequently navigating through unchartered territiories. But you figure it out, eventually, and handle it in the way you think is best for you.

The hardest part of doing that, in my experience, seems to be handling things the way you think is best. Not the way your mom, dad, friend, or second cousin twice removed would want you to do it, but the way you beleive in. You have to make your own mistakes, find your own path, and become your own person.

You especially have to brave enough to take your own advice sometimes, despite what others may say. I, admittedly, am not so good at that. I truly want everyone to be happy (a factor I blame on far to many Disney movies as a child). Of course that isn't always a fault, but sometimes it is.

With that being said, and 2012 being 19 days in with definite resolution in sight, I am going to make it my goal to be better at taking my own advice and taking risks I beleive may be worthwhile (while, of course, still a little getting outside advice when needed). 

After all, there is always plenty of time to change who you want to be when you grow up. And thats a very good thing or my 4ish year old self would have permenantly set me on the path to be Barney's backup dancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment