Thursday, September 15, 2011

Thursday Thoughts

Recently I have felt a little bit like a crazy person. Now don't worry, I am not going to go around talking about "WINNING" and inventing my own vocabulary, a la Charlie Sheen, but I am going to do a little blog-venting.

I have realized that the post-college early twenties seem to be much like freshman year: lots of confusion, but lots of fun. Somewhere in all of that I have found myself questioning myself, what I do, who I love, and so many other things that I envisioned to be so solid a year or two ago.

I often get a lot of jokes made (yes Jon, I am talking about you) about the title of this blog.  To some people, I am sure like it sounds like "another one of those girly things." But really it is because I think Marilyn Monroe said it best when she said:

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

If I had to pick a quote to describe how I felt when I started this blog, and even now, it would be that quote. For starters, I am no where near perfect, but I have realized somewhere along the way that usually the imperfection brings on some other kind of positive in your personality/life/etc.  As for the madness, I think that pretty much describes life right now and proves that someday soon I will be so thankful for these crazy years.

I believe all of that aforementioned confusion, for me, is just fear of the unknown. We seem to be at this strange point in our lives where we seems think about how our actions determine the rest of it: career, marriage, friends, family, etc. We somehow overnight went from "crazy college students" to "working professionals". We have more responsibility, whether we choose to take it or not, to ourselves and others. And with that comes a lot of pressure: pressure to be the best daughter, sister, friend, employee, girlfriend and person I can be. And pressure to make sure all of that makes me happy as well.

With responsibility and pressure comes choices. Should I or shouldn't I? Is it or isn't it? Why or why not? The hard part seems to be making the decision for yourself, and for me, without the emotional mumbo jumbo involved. We all want to be extremely successful, loved, and happy; and all we can do is fight like hell to get there.

My Dad used to tell Katie and I one life lesson over and over again when we were little, "never give up." It always seemed so simple to me. I mean, sure Dad math was hard but I had to do it, so why would I give up? Of course now I realize that lesson seems better suited for now. Never give up. Three simple words that to me mean fight for what you believe in, the job you want to reach, the relationship you want to keep, and so much more.

I guess the point of this big boring rant, is way more for myself than anyone else. But I hope you all can relate to in some way. Alright, or maybe I just need to be sent to live in a house with Britney Spears and Charlie Sheen, remember "it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” :)

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, I can totally relate.

    xoxo
    http://www.red-tintedglasses.com/

    ReplyDelete