Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Skinny Bang Bang Shrimp

Last night I was in the mood to channel Julia Childs, roll up my sleeves, put on my reindeer apron (really) and get into the kitchen. The problems were I had 1. no idea what to cook and 2. no ingredients. To solve the first issue I headed over to my favorite food blog, Skinnytaste, and searched through every possible type of meal. Chicken, pasta, shrimp...there were so many options. To say I was indecisive was an understatement, until I saw the low-cal recipe for Bonefish's Bang Bang Shrimp.

Call me crazy but I am not a Bonefish lover, nor have I ever had the very popular Bang Bang Shrimp. However, Jon loves them. He really LOVES them. If there is a Bonefish in a 15 mile radius of where you are he knows and he will tell you about those silly shrimp. So, all of that loving made the Bangin' Good Shrimp an easy option for dinner last night.

Once I tackled the grocery store (which was an adventure in itself....do y'all know where to find cornstarch?!), I headed home and got to cooking. Luckily this recipe was pretty simple - for a beginner like me - and I could make my favorite side dish, Nama and Papa's mashed potatoes, to go along with it.

About 40 minutes later we had this:

As usual, please excuse the poor plating and iPhone photo

I did make a couple changes based on the reviews. Those changes were:
  • I added salt and pepper to the cornstarch coating (recommend this!)
  • I used about 1/4 of the sauce on the shrimp and left the rest on the side in case we needed it (but we did not use it)
  • I added a little extra sirracha to taste (but could have used a little more)
All in all the shrimp were great! It was a wonderful way to try a healthy version of something I have heard oh so much about. And I got my Julia Childs on. Are any of you Bang Bang shrimp lovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment