Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011

Take a look back to my 2010 review here.

Unlike last year, all of 2011 was spent living in Richmond. By January I had finally figured out how to navigate the one way streets, learned the dining "hot spots" and even determined what "100 block" I lived on. It may seem like a small accomplishment but, trust me, it is more difficult than it looks.

To finish out the first month of the year, and take a break from my Richmond accomplishments, a few of us headed to Blacksburg to celebrate Reavis' birthday. This was my first time back since graduating, and man was it long overdue.

All the girls in Blacksburg

The next few months were filled with new people, places, and activities, as well as a lot of trips to DC. And I certainly do mean a lot of them. Jon and I did every touristy thing you could think of, and probably more. We visited a number of museums, saw the Lincoln memorial at night, took multiple trips to the National Zoo, cheered on the Capitals, sang along to the piano at Mr. Smiths, attended the National Harbor food and wine festival, and much, much more. It was a great introduction to big city life, and certainly allowed for many great dates.

At POV, in front of the White House


In between all of those dates in the city, Jon and I headed off on our first mini couples vacation to Duck, NC. We once again became instant tourists, and even crafted a fiercely competitive Minute to Win It competition. It was such a relief to be away from real life for three days, especially because this was the first time Concetta and Will got to meet Jon!

This trip is also when I realized I am dating the male form of my best friend. At least they got along, right?


Outside of "Inn Like Flynn"

Concetta and Jon bonding before Minute to Win It

The first few months of the year were also filled with many exciting announcements and celebrations: My cousin Whitley's wedding, Emily and David's engagement, Ryan and Gina's wedding, and Reavis and Sarah's engagement.

At the end of June my family headed off on a little celebration of our own, a trip to South Africa and Zambia! This trip was something I had been looking forward to for an entire year, and it certainly did not disappoint. The people, sights, and animals were extraordinary. Have I mentioned I love Africa??? I do, however, understand that many families have no interest in visiting countries that can sometimes be considered "third world" or "dangerous". In our travels I have found that these countries are the ones that leave you with the greatest lessons and memories, and I could not be more fortunate for having the chance to visit them.

Cape of Good Hope, South Africa

Lions outside of our Safari vehicle in Zambia

When we returned from Africa, time seemed to move twice as fast. July, August and September are such a blur.  During these months we had a hurricane AND earthquake threaten Virginia, Jon moved to Richmond, he and I traveled to Atlanta, and much more.

MY month October was certainly one of the more exciting months this year, and it all started with a visit from Concetta and Will! It is always great to have your best friend in the same city, but it is even more fun when you get to become best friends with a few hungry giraffes at the zoo! The rest of the month included a return to Blacksburg for Hokie football, birthday celebrations, Reavis and Sarah's engagement party, a trip to see Wicked on broadway, a special birthday dinner with my family, and LA with Jon!! Not only was LA Jon's first trip outside of the East Coast, but it was our first big trip together. In. love. with. LA. We had the best time, and I am hoping there will be many more trips like this in the future.
Will, Concetta, Me and Jon at Richmond Metro Zoo

Reavis and Sarah's Engagement Party

LA- Sitting on the FRIEND's couch at Warner Brothers Studio

The holiday season is the one I look forward to the most, and the one that always seems to escape in the blink of an eye.  This year November and December were filled with family gatherings, seasonal activities, and lots of love and laughter. Concetta, Jon and I saw Taylor Swift in concert (amazing!!!), Pauli's Girls once again were Top 3 fundraisers in Purplestrde 2011, Katie turned 20, Concetta and I joined our moms in New York (one of my favorite traditions), our family headed to Atlanta for Christmas with the Brysons, we did a tacky light tour, and had an amazing Christmas.

Taylor Swift in Raleigh!
New York City

Tacky Light Tour!
Christmas in Atlanta
With the final few days of 2011 right around the corner, I would be crazy not to be appreciative for the great year I've had. Our family is healthy, I have amazing friends, and I have a whole year of adventures to reminisce on. I hope that you all have had a blessed and exciting 2011, and are looking forward to an even better 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment