Thursday, April 7, 2011

Can-Can You Run the 10K?

Ok, I know. Where is the weekend update Jess?! I am sure you have all been dying to know whether Katie's legs fell off...or my arms got sore from all the cheering. After all, I knew it was bad when my dad - who reads a book a day but rarely reads internet sites for fun - emailed me and said:

"Hi Jessica,
I checked your blog to read about race weekend and I couldn't find anything. Did my subscription lapse? I hope you are enjoying your downtime.
Love, Dad"

Thank you for the inspiration Dad, you're right, I do need to keep the subscribers happy!

Last weekend was a whirlwind to say the least. On Friday everyone began their trek to Richmond for the raceday festivities. Mom and Dad were the first to arrive, so we had a delicious home cooked meal at Dan and Gail's as we all caught up on our real world adventures. After a bit of work, life, and marriage talk, I took Dad on his first Whole Foods trip to escape the madness and enjoy a little post-dinner father-daughter time. 

When we returned the rest of the gang (Jon, Katie, Court) had arrived so we drank, gossiped, and of course shared a few embarrassing stories to really put the family weekend into full swing. I mean who doesn't love reliving their chubby days? or talking about how a certain daughter (me) broke her finger to the point of surgery in drama class....playing a lion....? I know, lucky Jon.  At 11PM we finally realized it was way past our bedtimes and called it a night.

Let me tell you, 7:30 AM on a Saturday comes way faster than you think. When the alarm went off, I threw on a sweatshirt and leggings and began preparing the breakfast spread for the hungry runners (and cheerleaders). I was expecting a lot from the Monument 10K, but somehow it still exceeded my expectations. The sheer number of people, extravagant costumes, and wonderful bands was incredible. Not to mention, our porch was the perfect viewing spot!


View from our porch!

Katie and her boyfriend (the ballerina and convict, based on their costumes) completed the race in record time and headed back to our house for some much needed R&R. After three people had showered, dressed, and blow dried (granted, Patrick probably didn't blowdry), we headed to Sullivans for lunch. The five of us (Katie, Patrick, Court, Jon and I) had a wonderful meal, as we celebrated and reminisced on the crazy morning we had.

By the time the Jon and I had watched the VCU/Butler game with some friends that night, it seemed like Saturday had flown by and Sunday was fast approaching. Usually I dread Sunday because it means Jon is leaving (aww) and work is coming, but this weekend was different. This weekend Sunday meant Concetta and Will!!!

Beautiful days in Richmond make me think of Cary Town, so when Cetta and Will arrived we headed to Can-Can for our double date. Naturally, Concetta had flirted with the waiter, determined he was married, and told Will how much she loved him, all before Jon and I had opened our menus. In a short hour and a half, we laughed, I cried (haha), and we laughed some more - as we enjoyed our wonderful french meal. Between Duck and Can-Can, I learned I can no longer get Jon and Cetta together without hearing some terribly funny story at my expense. What are best friends for, right??


Once they finished torturing me we finished lunch we took a nice walk around Cary Town before Concetta and Will had to hit the road and head back to Raleigh. I always hate seeing them leave, but it does make the quick get togethers that much more special.

This week has remained crazy, but I think a nice relaxing weekend will do the trick. Until then I will be thinking about this time last year - with weekdays full of Spring Game preparations, Strawberries and Champagne, Bar Golf, Tots....I'd say it is probably time for another Tech visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment