Wednesday, December 1, 2010

So Many Reasons to be Happy

Thanksgiving has never been my favorite. Sure, I have a lot of things to be thankful for, but why do we need turkey and casseroles to celebrate that? As I told my grandfather, I would be much happier with shrimp and corn on the cob. However, this year seemed to be different.

With it being my first Thanksgiving as a “real person,” I decided I was going to show up with a casserole (it’s what the grown-ups would do, right?)! Those of you who know me, know I am an excellent chef….if the preparation involves a frozen meal and a microwave…. However, I did recently just discover how to make my first baked dish: butternut squash! It was love at first bite and, ever since that fateful August day, I have been making the wonderful creation about once a week. Now, I knew that showing up with a simple bowl of butternut squash would not impress anyone, so I decided to be inventive and create my own casserole! A bag of rehydrated craisins and pecans later (thank you Chopped for the inspiration!), I had created a delicious side. The shock on my families face was well worth the 3 hours of preparation.


My Casserole Creation!

Not only did I show up with a casserole in hand, but I also had another surprise in store for my Mom and Dad. After years of receiving everyone elses holiday cards, I decided it was time we had our own. I used Snapfish and created a card for my family to send out, as well as a card for Concetta.  I am so happy with the way they turned out! Snapfish is a great site, and so easy to use!



Merry Christmas from the Lockwoods!
 

Concetta's Card

As for another thing that was not always my favorite...haha just kidding Katie! Thanksgiving was also special this year because it was my baby sister’s birthday. Granted, at 19 years old, she is not really a baby anymore...oh well. We had a two day celebration complete with balloons, cupcakes, presents, Harry Potter, and so much more! It seemed to be the perfect way to celebrate.


Birthday Girl!


In other exciting news, my good friends Ryan and Gina just got engaged! They are my first set of college friends to take the plunge, and absolutely the perfect ones to do so. Ironically, Gina and I met freshman year in our Comm Skills class, but did not become good friends until Will (luckily!) moved into Clay St. junior year, and I guess the rest is history. I am so happy for both of them and cannot wait to see them in person and congratulate them!

Since it is December 1st, I must also mention CHRISTMAS! I am absolutely the most Christmas obsessed person in the entire world. Lights, music, Santa, EVERYTHING….I love it. 

To really ring in the season, I convinced Shelby to go with me to Christmas Town last weekend (you are judging me, I know), and it was a great way to get into the spirit! 2 million lights, a few rides, and two twinkling Christmas hats later we began the trek home, both sure it was well worth the $40 some dollars we spent.


My Favorite Part of Christmas Town was the Snowflakes and Blue Trees at the Beginning of the Park


I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and is looking forward to the next holiday as much as I am. I cannot wait to spend the next 3 weeks enjoying every minute of this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment