Tuesday, December 7, 2010

New York, New York

When I was seven years old my mother started taking me to New York, the first weekend of December, every year. However, once I reached college, New York was out and Blacksburg was in.  I quickly realized that one advantage of the real world is no exams...good bye venti americanos and Newman library, hello champagne and Bergdorf!

And so we quickly picked up were we left off, heading straight to New York last weekend. This was my mothers 26th year going that same weekend (she continued to go with her friends, while I studied), staying in the exact same hotel room that they always stay in.

I have always had a place in my heart for New York, partially because of my aforementioned Christmas obsession. Let me tell you, NO ONE does Christmas like New York City....the lights, Rockefeller center, the shows, the windows...it is a Christmas lovers dream. Not to mention the shopping! Sure you could get trampled any second...but hey who cares? you're in New York City.


One of my absolute favorite parts of NYC in December

While we were there we hit all the big stores, ate at wonderful restaurants, saw a show, and enjoyed two nights out on the town. Basically we jam-packed everything I wanted to do into two days, and my mom was graciously along for the ride since she was staying the whole week (her girlfriends were joining her when I left).

It was a fast but wonderful weekend with my mother and our good friends, Carrie and Dawn.

However, here is where the imperfection theme comes in...

Picture this: I am in a cab on the way to the airport when I receive a phone call from my mom. Of course, I believe she is simply calling to see if I have reached the airport yet, tell me how much she misses me, while I spend every second of the phone call wishing I could turn around and stay longer. Man was I wrong. It turns out she was calling to tell me I had left my car keys in the safe. Smart move Jessica. After a good 15 min of panic with  images of myself standing outside the airport with no ride, no keys to my apartment, and no way to get things out of my car, flashing through my head we came up with a plan. I rented a car and mom overnighted the keys (which I just received today!)- crisis semi-averted!

Luckily my roommate Julie was arriving to the Richmond Airport from Paris at exactly the same time, so we took my hot new car for a spin and headed for Stuzzis. After a delicious meal, and plenty of stories from our travels, we called it a night (and I, luckily, was not locked out in the cold!-I know you were worried).

Not even a semi-dramatic ending could ruin my perfect weekend in the Big Apple.

While I was off shopping and taking in the gorgeous Christmas scenery, my beloved Hokies were in Charlotte taking on the Seminoles. Of course, Tyrod (my hero) and the entire team pulled through and the Hokies are once again the ACC champions!! Now I am absolutely determined to go to the Orange Bowl, who is coming with me?!?


Lets Go, Hokies!!

Heres to the most wonderful time of the year (and the Hokies!)!

No comments:

Post a Comment