Friday, May 6, 2011

Happy (Early) Mother's Day!

Well since Sunday is Mother's Day I figured I would dedicate this one to Mom. I mean who likes getting flowers or jewelry when you can get a blog post in your honor?!

I will start off by telling you a little about my mom.....Pretty much grow me 2 or 3 inches, dye my hair blonder, and age me about 15 years and there you have her! (No, she is (obviously) not 15 years older than me, but she looks like it.) Not only do we look a like, but I also take after her in many ways...the main way being our love for traveling.

We have three types of travelers in our family:
1. The "I hate getting there, like being there, but love getting home" traveler
2. The "It was fun while it lasted but I'm so happy i could will kiss the ground when I get home" traveler
3. The "this is heaven on earth/ Im so sad its over" traveler. (Me and Mom)

Before I could even say the word "Mama" I was traveling along side her in a plane, and well before I had a drivers license I had a passport. 

Over the course of the past 20-ish years Katie and I have been fortunate enough to visit  almost every continent (except Antarctica and Australia) and almost every state in the US. We have slept in tents in the Serengeti, rode elephants in Thailand, had dinner in front of the library at Ephesus, and so much more. Sometimes I cant even fathom how lucky we got to have parents that truly value the importance in us seeing the world. In fact, if I had to choose one privilege I feel the most fortunate about it would be the traveling - and I know it wouldn't happen without mom. She takes our opinions and runs with it, planning an incredible trip every time.

My mom has always been a fan of saying things "speak to her" and it wasn't until our trip to Africa that I truly understood what she meant (in fact, before that I thought she was a little crazy when she said that...). There is an unmatched beauty there, between the intriguing animals and awe inspiring people it is hard not to feel moved. And ever since visiting Tanzania 5 years ago, I have been dying to go back to Africa! Well, it finally looks like no time is better than the present because at the end of June we will be going to South Africa!!! Mom has, once again, planned the trip of a lifetime.

It really is an incredible thing to be able to experience so many different, exciting - and in some cases life changing -  people and places with your family. I think it has played a large role in making our family as close as we are today...and we owe that to both of our parents.

Of course Mom isnt just the designated travel planner...she is the business woman Katie and I both hope to become, the fashionista any girl would be lucky to know, and the mom that makes sure you never feel a shortage of love.

So even though this is just a very breif glimpse, I hope that everyone takes the time to thank their mommas this weekend! I can't imagine how hard of job it is and I hope that one day I am atleast half the mom, and woman, our mother has been.

So Mom, Happy Mothers Day! I love you!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment